Navigation icons + Some Frame questions

Subject: Navigation icons + Some Frame questions
From: Mark Dempsey <mxd2 -at- OSI -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 1998 12:57:13 -0700

Icon questions:

We're producing Acrobat online docs that need three navigation icons:

1. A little house. Caption: Home page (takes the reader back to the
initial list of documents/links)

2. A flashlight. Caption: Master Index (takes the reader to a master
index/links document)

3. A backward-pointing arrow Caption: Previous Link (takes the reader to
the previous link visited)

I'm wondering a) Has anyone found these icons internationally
objectionable? b) Should we avoid icons, and how else should we indicate
these are buttons, if so?

Frame questions (related, and already posted to the Framers list):

We're producing documents in multiple versions using conditional text
(with and without the above icons). We'd also like to introduce a
different master page layout for online and print docs.

The difficulty is that, as far as I know, you must open each chapter,
set the conditions, import the master page (or change their use) then
generate (in this case) the pdf file. We have enough documents that
this is a lot of work.

Other than Framescript, is there any software that automates this? We
use UNIX Frame, not PC, so Framescript is not quite suitable. I'd like
something like Webworks that allows for, in effect, multiple style
sheets.

Please reply directly to me...and thanks, in advance.

-- mailto:Mark -dot- Dempsey -at- osi -dot- com
--
-- Mark Dempsey
-- Technical Publications