Re: Tech writing & incompetence: I am scum (nah, you're not)

Subject: Re: Tech writing & incompetence: I am scum (nah, you're not)
From: Jeroen Hendrix <jhe -at- MEDIASYS -dot- NL>
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 1998 09:40:32 +0100

Robert McMARTIN wrote:

<SNIP>

> There is no such thing as a incompetent employee, or Tech Writer.
There
> are only incompetent managers. These are the people who must be
> satisfied that the product is suitable to bear the companies name.

<SNIP>

Hm, that's sounds like a litle frustation (?).

To follow this analogy:
- There is no such thing as an incompetent surgeon, when surgeries go
wrong, the hospital managers should be blamed.
- There is no such thing as a incompetent teacher, when your child's
education goes wrong, blame the shool's managers

etc, etc,

Tecnical writing is a profession, but (unfortunately) there are no set
requirements. Some are better qualified than others, but everyone may
claim he or she is a technical writer. Even this list can't seem to
agree on minimum requirements.
This means some are better than others; some will be excellent, a lot
will be incompetent. Sure, managers are to blame for a lot of things in
this world, but not for everything that's wrong. That would be too easy.
In the end, the good ones will float to the surface, the bad and the
ugly will go under.

Regards,

Jeroen Hendrix
Technical Communications
Mediasystemen B.V., a Triple-P company
POBox 32, 2060 AA Bloemendaal, the Netherlands

Fax: +31 23 526 0072
Tel: +31 23 525 9010
mail to: jhe -at- mediasys -dot- nl
http://www.mediasys.triple-p.com