$10/hour

Subject: $10/hour
From: "M. Hunter-Kilmer" <mhunterk -at- BNA -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 1998 12:18:11 -0500

Bruce Ashley <bashley -at- CREATEPRINT -dot- COM -dot- AU> wrote:

> To put things into perspective, my 14 year old son is trying to get
> a McDonalds job next year. It pays $9 per hour.

<snip>

> So...$10 per hour? For those prepared to accept that, please get out
> of our profession and go work for McDonalds.

You made some excellent points, Bruce, but the original poster was
from Washington state in the US. $10 in the US, according to a
currency converter I just consulted, converts to $16.17 in Australia.

(For those who wonder about the reverse, $10 in Australia comes out to
about $6.18 in the US, and $9 in Australia is about $5.57. So Bruce's
son would be making a little more than the US minimum wage.)

I hope this hasn't gotten posted already. I'm behind in my
list-reading and on digest to boot, and a quick check of the digests
didn't show that somebody else beat me to the punch. However, if I'm
wrong, I'm sorry!

Melissa Hunter-Kilmer
mhunterk -at- bna -dot- com
(standard disclaimer)