Re: Visually impaired technical writers

Subject: Re: Visually impaired technical writers
From: Keith Soltys <ksoltys -at- INTERLOG -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 4 Jul 1998 21:22:00 GMT

On Thu, 2 Jul 1998 11:52:13 -0500, "David A. McMurrey"
<hcexres -at- IO -dot- COM> wrote:

>We've received several inquiries from blind students about their prospects
>for working as professional technical writers. Does anyone have any
>experience in this area? Can the visually impaired work as technical
>writers? If so, what are the accommodatioons that must be made? Thanks
>for any help anybody can send my way!
>
>-- David

It probably depends on what degree of visual impairment you are
talking about. I am legally blind (less than 20/200) but the only
accommodation that I need is a larger than normal monitor (my employer
got me a 21" monitor, I could work comfortably on a 17") and the
adaptability mouse cursors that MS provides.

For people with more visual impairment, but who still have some sight<
there are devices that magnify all or part of a screen image, screen
to speech software, and magnifying scanners for working with paper
documents. You'd be surprised at how much work someone with just a
little sight can accomplish using these aids.

There are some tasks that a completely blind writer might not be able
to do (page layout and graphics). At a rough guess, I'd say that I'd
be able to do at least 80% of my current job without sight.

Regards
Keith

Keith Soltys -- ksoltys -at- interlog -dot- com -- http://www.interlog.com/~ksoltys/
Certainly the game is rigged. Don't let that stop you;
if you don't bet, you can't win. --Robert A. Heinlein