[no subject]

From: Scribendi! <contactus -at- SCRIBENDI -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 1998 18:06:52 -0400

Hello all,
I have just joined the techwr-l list, and so caught the tail end of a
discussion regarding wages for tech writing. Specifically, this caught my eye:

>I do not have a tech writing degree (I do have a BA)
>I had no real tech writing experience to speak of
>I do not get benefits
>I am not the sole income for my family
>I am the lone and first tech writer for my company
>I use the company's computer/software and I get reimbursed for
>expenses.
>My tools experience is limited to Word97, PageMaker, and FrontPage.
>I work out of state and at home.

I'm a freelance writer who is investigating the technical writing market
because there seems to be higher demand there than in other types of
markets. I've started looking at positions offered on job sites, but notice
that a lot of the advertised positions seem to require specific *computer
languages*, ie., extensive knowledge of C++ etc., and require relocation,
so I figured that most of the work out there was out of my reach. However,
having read the above, it appears that I'm looking in the wrong places and
that I might have something to offer after all. (I have a BA, as well as a
college diploma in industrial robotics and electronics, extensive knowledge
of apps like Word, PageMaker, CorelDraw and FrontPage, and experience in
writing about complex subjects in a clear and concise way.)

I'd very much appreciate it if some kind soul(s) could perhaps point me in
the right direction in regards to online resources and how to get started
making contacts or finding employment - particularly telecommute and Canuck
work. Apologies in advance if this is the umpteenth "I wanna break into the
market" message this list has received, and please feel free to email me
off list at kentwood -at- ciaccess -dot- com so we don't clutter things up.
Thanks very much!
C.Clarke