disabled technical writers

Subject: disabled technical writers
From: Cyndy Davis <kivrin -at- ZDNETMAIL -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 1998 13:17:57 -0700

Hi - I was very interested in the ongoing discussion about visually impaired technical writers. Three years ago I was faced with the decision to have an eye surgery or go blind. I took the surgery. For the next 3 weeks I was blind. I had these little bug eye things over my eyes (but I am digressing).

At the time I worked as a tehcnical support agent - one of the people you get when you call 1-800-SOS-APPL. My supervisor was very concerned that I would not be able to do my job. I asked if she could get me a dual headphone mic and a copy of a voice software for my computer. I was able to hold phone conversations, review spec sheets, log phone calls into a database and write my college term papers.

It was a slight adjustment to hearing things rathering then seeing them but it did not interfere with my job or decrease my speed or work quality.

Individuals know how to deal with whatever disability they have, whether it is being blind, deaf, or if they can't do math. They find ways to deal with problems and work, live and play like the rest of us.

Hire a visually impaired technical writer. She will show you a wealth of knowledge as well as help you improve your products. What better way to know what is confusing or not designed well than having true-to-life usability

Free web-based email, anytime, anywhere!
ZDNet Mail - http://www.zdnetmail.com