Re: Visually impaired technical writers

Subject: Re: Visually impaired technical writers
From: Rahel Bailie <rbailie -at- CASTLETON -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 1998 11:46:14 -0700

Seems to me that I used to see posts occasionally on this list from
blind writers. If your students want to document software, there are
applications that read out loud the contents on a screen (not just text
in a file, but also menu choices, fields, buttons, etc.).

If I had a dollar for every time an engineer (and don't get me wrong, I
love them all to bits) said to me, "I can't explain it but here, let me
draw it on the white board", I might not be rich but I'd certainly be
able to buy myself a new computer. Having said that, I think the
challenge is for the engineers, as much as the tech writer, to figure
out how to do their share of the communicating.

Rahel A. Bailie, Senior Technical Writer
Castleton Network Systems Corporation
Burnaby, BC, Canada
Tel 604-293-0039 (5432) / Fax 604-293-0047
http://www.castleton.com