Re: Visually impaired technical writers

Subject: Re: Visually impaired technical writers
From: Alexia Prendergast <alexiap -at- SEAGATESOFTWARE -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 1998 14:26:04 -0400

Hi, David,

Seems to me that I used to see posts occasionally on this list from
blind writers. If your students want to document software, there are
applications that read out loud the contents on a screen (not just text
in a file, but also menu choices, fields, buttons, etc.). If they are
interested in medical writing, they could use an OCR scanner to scan
their source material, one of the apps that reads text out loud to read
the material, write their stuff, and then review it online. And so on.
(Just read Fabien's note re: the PC that converts text to Braille --
there's lots of neat technology out there.)

I just did a search online at the NC State University library and came
up with titles like _Information Technology and Disabilities_, _Living
in the State of Stuck: How Technology Impacts the Lives of Persons with
Disabilities_, etc. NCSU also has a research group that develops
assistive technologies. You might try:
http://www.ncsu.edu/ncsu/design/sod4/sodpages/researchoutreachextension/
CFUDwww/pubs/infopacks/products/products.orgs.html, especially:

American Foundation for the Blind
National Technology Center
15 West 16th Street
New York, NY 10011
800-232-5463
(database of assistive technology for people who are blind or have low
vision)

HTH,
A.

Alexia Prendergast
Tech Pubs Manager, Seagate Software
Durham NC USA
mailto:alexiap -at- seagatesoftware -dot- com