Summary - Word 97 Numbering

Subject: Summary - Word 97 Numbering
From: Ginna Watts <sweep!gwatts -at- QUESTERCORP -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 1998 17:50:31 +0000

Well,
Thanks for all who answered in my time of need...

Many had good (well, as good as Word gets) solutions.

To recap:
I'm having a world o' trouble with Word's auto-numbering.

Several people gave eloquently expressed solutions which I will
roughly summarize:

Beth Friedman sugggested using the "seq" field,
and a descriptor for every sequence, but I don't think this is
practical for our situation; in some documents there might be a
hundred sequences. But a good solution for short docs, for sure.
(Scott Miller suggested the same solution, but pointed out that the
engineers might balk.)

Rose Kennedy uses outline numbering to set up a heirarchy between
heading styles and the numbered styles. This looks like it could
work, but all our headings are currently numbered.

And finally, Keith Anderson suggested a modification of the
above. The plan calls for a new custom outline defiinition, using
an "intro" style (with no numbers) to reset the numbering each time.
I might try this, but I'm already having a mess of trouble managing
two separate custom outline styles (heading and appendix).

Sadly, I might end up forcing them to type in the numbers, as .

On an up note, this problem plus an intense discussion of how we
might control templates is making FrameMaker look mighty good to
management!

Thanks again,
Ginna

Ginna Watts - Technical Writer