Synonym for tree

Subject: Synonym for tree
From: "Kulis, Carene" <Carene -dot- Kulis -at- USA -dot- XEROX -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 1998 09:18:12 PDT

Thank you everyone for responding to my question concerning a synonym for
the word tree. As others were interested in the answer to this as well, here
are the responses I received:

folder/subfolder directory?
directory structure
directory listing
Tree is the graphical representation hierarchial (directory) structure of
the system, the directory tree. I suppose, directory tree or tree are the
only two terms I have ever heard.
I am documenting a software application and we use the terms "tree" and
"hierarchy" interchangeably. I believe they both refer to listings which
contain info at different levels.
application's organizational chart
"File hierarchy" or just "hierarchy"
I refer to the tree as the 'tree view in the navigation pane', and to the
expanding and collapsing items as 'node items' that expand and collapse to
reveal ......(whatever, this will be specific to the application).
I have used the term "Display Tree" to reference the Microsoft listing with
pluses and minuses that expand and contracts. I'm fairly sure I got that
terminology from Visual Basic documentation.
I've also seen it referred to as "Control Tree."
Array
Matrix
Order
Organization
Structure
Layout
Schema

Carene Kulis
<mailto:Carene -dot- kulis -at- mc -dot- usa -dot- xerox -dot- com> Carene -dot- kulis -at- mc -dot- usa -dot- xerox -dot- com
(716)-423-4973