Re: Word 97 numbering question

Subject: Re: Word 97 numbering question
From: "Anderson, Keith" <keith_anderson -at- GOOITECH -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 14:42:24 -0500

Ginna:

I found a work around to this several months ago, and it's proven to be
a life-saver. Here is the effect I wanted (at a very simple level):

To do this you need to:
1. Blah Blah
2. Blah Blah
3. Blah Blah

According to my style guide, no numbered list should start without a
introductory phrase like the one above. Here's what I did to make it
happen.

Create a style called Step Intro (or whatever), which is obviously the
introductory phrase. Don't assign formatting properties to it yet. Next,
create a style called Step, which is the numbered style.

Follow these steps to make them play nice together:
1. From the Modify Style dialog box, click Format/Numbering.
2. In the Bullets and Numbering dialog box, Click the Outline tab,
select one of the outline boxes (it doesn't matter which one because
you'll customize it), and click Customize.
3. Ensure Level 1 is selected.
4. Select (None) for the Number Style.
5. Click More to display more stuff (why don't they just display it all
at once?).
6. Select Step Intro from the Link level to style list.
7. Click the OK buttons until you get back to the Modify Style dialog
box.
8. Follow steps 1-7 for the Step style with the following important
exceptions:
* Select level 2 instead of one
* Create your custom numbering style (fonts, number type, etc.)
* Link the outline level 2 to the Step style
* And the biggie: Check the Restart number after higher list
level check box

Please note:

For all bulleted or numbered styles in Word 97, configure the bullet or
number BEFORE you configure the paragraph indention. Every time you
configure or change the bullet or number, Word resets the left indention
to "0". <biting sarcasm>Thanks Microsoft for making this so
easy.</biting sarcasm>

These instructions were written quickly, but I think I remember
everything. If you have questions let me know.

Keith Anderson
Technical Writer

Gooitech
keith_anderson -at- gooitech -dot- com