Re: Unpaid

Subject: Re: Unpaid
From: Cyndy Davis <kivrin -at- ZDNETMAIL -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 11:48:49 -0700

I would like to throw my two cents into the ring. I have been at my job six moths now. I am also right out of college with a English:Secondary Education degree with a minor in writing. I applied for the technical writing position that I have right now because I could not find a teaching job. I moved 1200 miles for this job. I make a little bit more than $10 an hour (I make $12) and although I would love to make more, I am very happy in my present position.I came to my company with 4 years of technical support experience and 5 years of management experience. I took the job for several reasons: because it was something different, something I was interested in and something I felt was important to my experience and where I wanted to go in life. Its worthwhile to do what you like and what will serve you best even if it doesn't pay the best.

And to all of you that comment that "unpaid" is being robbed - try student teaching. I paid full tuition, room and board for the privelege of working 14 hour days dealing with 120 teenagers to gain my teaching certificate. It looks very nice hanging on the wall of my cubicle.

Cyndy Davis
Technical Writer
Lenexa, KS

Free web-based email, anytime, anywhere!
ZDNet Mail - http://www.zdnetmail.com