Re: PB&J--not just for lunch anymore (was: GettingExperience--was Volunteer TW Services) -Reply -Re

Subject: Re: PB&J--not just for lunch anymore (was: GettingExperience--was Volunteer TW Services) -Reply -Re
From: Lisa Comeau <COMEAUL -at- CSA -dot- CA>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 13:46:06 -0400

Chris Wilcox wrote:
I don't think it's unrealistic at all. It depends on the intent of the
exercise...

Agreed, but from Deborah's original post (no offense intended, Deborah) I was unsure as to the intent. After reading the second post on the subject, it became clearer to me.

<SNIP>
The interviewing manager wanted to see what kinds of questions we would ask about who the audience was and what assumptions we could make about their skill level. The exercise proved to be successful, because she was able to weed out the candidates who made too many assumptions or didn't preface the assignment with the kinds of questions that all writers should be asking before they create a document.
<SNIP DONE>
This is why I thought it was unrealistic, as none of these questions seemed to be posed.

I guess I just basically thought that it was unrealistic if the situation/users you were writing for/about weren't defined. Since Deborah's second post, however, I stand corrected.

Lisa Comeau
IS Super-User/Trainer
Certification and Testing Division
Canadian Standards Association