Ice Browser (WAS Re: Anyone used the new JavaHelp???????)

Subject: Ice Browser (WAS Re: Anyone used the new JavaHelp???????)
From: Scott Miller <smiller -at- CORP -dot- PORTAL -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 10:05:28 -0700

About the Ice browser:

- The developers liked that it was easy to implement. They were able to
put together all the navigation features that I wanted very quickly,
like Back, Contents, and Index buttons.

- The formatting, that is, line spacing and fonts, is very handsome.
Much better than the HotJava bean. Especially the bullets. Those HotJava
bullets look like little depth charges.

- It prints... with a little quirk. For HTML files over one page, the
printing runs right off the bottom of the page. However, the text on the
page, so one way or another you print everything. It just looks weird,
and a few lines are repeated. Hey, it's Java!

- We didn't even try frames, so I can't help you there. With Java,
"Reach for the stars" is not our motto. "Reach for low-hanging fruit" is
more like it.

- The only extended ascii character we tried was the trademark. It
displayed as a rectangle.

I should point out that the help I wrote was for small applications. The
largest help document was about 40 - 50 pages, so we didn't exactly give
the browser a real workout. We are pinning our hopes on JavaHelp, and
just using this home-grown thing until JavaHelp is available. I hope.

- Scott Miller
smiller -at- portal -dot- com