Re: Getting Experience -- was Volunteer TW Services

Subject: Re: Getting Experience -- was Volunteer TW Services
From: Michael Burke <miburke -at- WSICORP -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 11:51:54 -0500

>So, with this context, let's pose the question again: If you're a
>newbie tech writer with no portfolio
>or tangible experience, *how do you get experience*?

I agree with the contention that to build a portfolio without having
any job experience would be to document an existing application that
has poor or no documentation.

After graduating from a tech writing program last year, my portfolio
contained (among other items) a procedural docs for a particular
FrameMaker function and a shareware screen capture utility, and
several re-written (and, I think, improved) UNIX man pages. I also
included a pair of articles I wrote for the class newsletter.

I was hired after my second interview using these as samples.

I cannot attest to the thinking on the other side of the interview
desk, but I must believe that someone hiring a new writer would not
expect that person to have documents for new products. The interviewee
needs to prove that she can document products; one way to do that is
documenting products that she has access to.

One could also try writing a wide variety of pieces, so she could
adapt the portfolio with documents relevant to the position.

Michael Burke
Technical Writer
WSI Corporation
Billerica, MA