Re: Offsite Management - 2 cents.

Subject: Re: Offsite Management - 2 cents.
From: Bernie McCann <BernieMc -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 1998 12:24:49 EDT

In a message dated 98-06-23 12:55:10 EDT, anon wrote:

<<
I would be interested to know if anyone has, or feels it is possible to
manage a pubs department while working off-site either part time or full
time. Does the size of the department affect one's ability to do this? Or
do you think it just is not a good idea?

Am I alone in wondering why this question was asked? Of course not.

Unless there is an "Assistant" Manager working on site, it just isn't possible
(as many readers have stated) because should that be the case, where will the
"buck" stop. In which case, perhaps, the Assistant Manager could be promoted,
and etc.

If the Assistant Manager is, in reality, just an intermediate technical
writer/editor, then there is a qualification problem. IMHO, too many
writers/editors are given senior management positions too soon, especially in
our profession, where young software companies traditionally hire one
unfortunate person to do everything (No, not me).

Just my few cents worth (as I busily manage)!

Bernard McCann
Professional technical writing, remarkable translation, and efficient
turnkey management of engineering and scientific publishing.

BernieMc -at- aol -dot- com