on the edge of the law?

Subject: on the edge of the law?
From: A Watkins <awatkins -at- POBOX -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 1998 18:54:42 -0500

Is anyone here aware of limits to the size of font and
tracking for a legal document? I'm updating a contract and
have to add a paragraph. It won't fit without adding another
page and redesigning the whole thing, a pageant in which I
am unable to perform due to the deadline. We're already
barely readable: Arial 5.5, normal tracking.
I was trying to tighten the text or reduce the font size
when a coworker mentioned that she (thought she) remembered
that a legal document has to have at least such-and-such
size font and so on. We can't find any reference in any of
our style manuals. I've tried a Web search but didn't find
anything there, either. The legal department is not aware of
such a standard or rule.
Does this situation sound familiar to any legal whirlers out
there?

Thanx in advantz.

Alfred Watkins
Sr Technical Scribe