Online Manuals

Subject: Online Manuals
From: Suzette Seveny <sseveny -at- PETVALU -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 1998 17:09:55 -0400

I know this subject has probably been *beaten* to death, but I have been
searching the archives and not really finding much that is helpful.

I have to develop manuals that will be kept online. Users will have the
option to read them online, or if they prefer, print their own hard copies
(my boss wants out of the publishing business). So the goal is manuals
that look good either way.

I don't want the users to have to use separate software to read or print
the manuals (i.e. acrobat reader or anything like that). How feasible is
it to:
a) simply put the Word documents online (in either *.doc or *.rtf format)
b) save the Word documents in *.htm or *.html format (what is the
difference, anyway?) and put that online?

What do I do with pictures of windows that I've put in the manual? I just
used Alt+Print Screen and pasted them. If I save my Word document as
*.htm, I get an error message telling me that I do not have enough memory
to display the pictures. Is there a better way?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice people can give me.

Suzette