Re: Bulleted text

Subject: Re: Bulleted text
From: Barb Ostapina <Barb -dot- Ostapina -at- METROMAIL -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 14:33:55 -0500

I can't believe how long this thread has stayed alive! And I'm even more
surprised at how many people prefer not to indent their bullets. It seems
so unnatural to me. Do those of you who don't indent bullets also not
indent the A,B,C level of an outline in relation to the I, II, III level?

Usually, the reason I use bullets is to highlight information that I want
the reader to remember, or at least be able to find quickly later. Aligning
the bullets with the left margin, to me, makes it less memorable, less easy
to find... too integrated with the preceeding text (in that case, why use a
bullet at all? why not just mush it into paragraphs?). Someone said
indenting the bullets was jarring. Well, isn't that the point? Isn't our
job to make it easier for readers to find what they need? So what if it's
redundant treatment. So is making headings bold, and bigger, and on a line
by themselves.