Re: Bulleted text

Subject: Re: Bulleted text
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- AXIONET -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 1998 14:15:28 -0400

James Childs [SMTP:JChilds -at- ATL -dot- CARREKER -dot- COM] wrote:

> Does anybody have any thoughts on whether bulleted text should be
> "embedded" > into a paragraph (indented by .25 or something) or
> aligned with the paragraph in which it is contained?

I favor the following design:

- Bullets and numbers are aligned with the left margin of the body text.

- The actual text of bulleted numbered lists is aligned with the left
margin of indented text.

This design minmizes the number of different alignments on the page. As
a result, it's easy on the eye, and easier to scan.

A couple more notes:

- Especially for on-line work, I often add a second level of indented
text
and bullets, organized in the same way. This practice helps to organize
long lists.

- Depending on the font and its size. an indent of.25 inches isometimes
separates the text from the bullet or number a little too much.

--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
Co-ordinator ,Vancouver Technical Communicators' Co-op List

"No time for love if they come in the morning,
No time for fears or for tears in the morning,
No time for good-byes, no time to ask why,
And the wail of their sirens is the cry of the morning."
- Geoff Pearson