Printing screens, ethical Q&A

Subject: Printing screens, ethical Q&A
From: Lisa Comeau <COMEAUL -at- CSA -dot- CA>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 14:04:48 -0400

** High Priority **
** Reply Requested When Convenient **

Something that has crossed my mind, but I never thought to ask about...if it's in the Digest, can someone point me to the topic, as I don't see it...

What are the possibilities of copyright infringement that one might be performing when capturing a screen in a manual?

I may be (and probably am) wrong, but Windows is copyrighted software, and it's illegal to copy the software, so why wouldn't it be illegal to copy images of the software?

AND if MickeySoft really DID get the Windows idea from the MAC OS and Apple sued them for using the image, what's keeping MS from suing those of us who use screen captures in docs (aside from the fact that it's widespread)?

Or am I missing some critical piece of documentation that says "Hey! You're allowed to use screen captures *Because* you're writing manuals promoting the use of our software" ?

Any input is appreciated.

-Lisa Comeau
Screen Captures "R" Us (not really)
Technical Documentation - type person