Summary! Page Layout & Design Books

Subject: Summary! Page Layout & Design Books
From: Rowena Hart <rhart -at- INTRINSYC -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 10:45:59 -0700

Many thanks to ALL of the people who sent me their recom-
mendations for general-purpose design books. I plan to go
book hunting this weekend...

I am providing a summary of the suggestions I received, since
there were so many good ones. Feel free to keep sending me
suggestions for design books.

- Rowena, rhart -at- intrinsyc -dot- com

WEB SITES:

Dave Siegel's (Web design) page http://www.killersites.com

Book reviews at RayComm http://www.raycomm.com/techwhirl/books.htm.

Introduction to "traditional" websites hosted by Yale University:
http://info.med.yale.edu/caim/manual/contents.html

Tools review http://www.gabocorp.com/

And of course, you can search Amazon.com for book titles,
subjects and reviews.

BOOKS:

"Looking Good in Print: A Guide to Basic Design for Desktop
Publishers" (2nd ed) by Roger C. Parker. Published by Vertana
Press (1990). Comments: "This book contains a lot of design
principles and a lot of examples. It doesn't provide much theory,
and is not a typical textbook. It does not provide any workbook
exercises or anything, but I think it is a good starting point."

"(The) Non-Designer's Handbook" by Robin Williams and John
Tollett. Published by Peachpit Press (1994). Comments: "One
little but darned good book," "Inexpensive, has a workbook feel,
and lots of examples that can be applied across many types of
documents."

"Dynamics in Document Design: Creating Texts for Readers"
by Karen A. Schriver. Published by John Wiley & Sons (1996).
Comments: Review available from Amazon.com, address
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0471306363/002-1633418-7522667.

"Pi" by Bruce Rogers. Comments: Try mxbf.com for ordering.

"Graphic Design Cookbook" by Leonard Koren and R. Wippo
Meckler. Comments: "It has hundreds of examples of page layouts.
A quick flick through this book usually gives me enough inspiration
to start creating my own layout." Information is also available from
Amazon.com at
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0877015694/002-5213002-5585844.

"Layout & Design" by Harold Evans, then editor of "The Times"
in London.

"Designing the Total Newspaper" also by Harold Evans (?).

"Classroom in a Book" series from Adobe Press.

"Designing Visual Language" by Kostelnick, Charles and David
D. Roberts. Published by Allyn & Bacon (1998). Comments:
"This book is heavy on the theory and lighter on the examples."

"Web by Design" No author name provided. Comments:
John Eldard provides a review of the book at his personal web
site http://users.itsnet.com/~wordesign.

OTHER SUGGESTIONS:

- Information Mapping seminars, see www.infomap.com.

- The American Institute of Graphic Arts' "Fifty Books of the Year"
annuals.

- Adobe Magazine (free sub from Adobe's web site).

- Keep a scrapbook of designs you like.