Re: FrontPage 98

Subject: Re: FrontPage 98
From: John Posada <posada -at- FAXSAV -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 10:17:35 -0400

hey, guys....

I'd like to throw out a question that I would believe is going to get a
wide range of responses (and flames), but I need to know if I'm off-base on
this.

Assuming I agree with the proposition that FrontPage does not produce pure
HTML 3.2, let allone HTML 4.0 standard HTML code.

However, let's also assume that FP produces web pages that can be read
reasonably well in web browsers (and FP doesn't have a lock on bad
HTML-code).

Question: So what?

Seriously...doing what we do...isn't it more important to satisfy the needs
of the user/customer/employer than to have inner peace knowing that should
the w3 consortium point their validator at the site, that it won't find any
" border="0" " tags or unnamed image ALT tags?

Case in point (nothing personal toward the specific case/author...there may
be factors that we cannot/neednot know). we've seen the thread about how FP
trashed a TOC code after "having spent weeks crafting a complex expandable
TOC". Would the customer have been better served getting a product weeks
earlier with a less-sexy TOC created in 20 minutes, and have had other
deadlines met/additional projects initiated (and, BTW, FP can creates
expandable TOCs)?

I've seen this happen in all walks of writer-life...

* A programmer spends 50% of the time making a program 5% better, yet
rather than having a useful program generating benefits, has the perfect
program still sitting on his HD.
* An HTML author spends 20 additional hours on a 100 hour web site just to
make sure than it is 100% HTML 4.0 compliant.
* A proposal misses deadline and is disqualified because the AccountManager
wanted to get the Exec Summary exactly right, even though everyone is
pretty sure they are the low price anyway.

My experience has been that sometimes we (and sometimes I) loose track of
the ultimate goal and make the process of getting there more important.

I'm interested in level-headed input to this...

John Posada, Technical Writer (and proud of the title)
The world's premier Internet fax service company: The FaxSav Global Network
-work http://www.faxsav.com -personal http://www.tdandw.com
-work mailto:posada -at- faxsav -dot- com -personal mailto:john -at- tdandw -dot- com
-work phone: 732-906-2000 X2296 -home phone: 732-291-7811
My opinions are mine, and neither you nor my company can take credit for
them.

"One ought, every day at least, to hear a little song, read a good poem,
see a fine picture, and, if it were possible, to speak a few reasonable
words.", Goethe
"Say all you have to say in the fewest possible words, or your reader
will be sure to skip them; and in the plainest possible words or he will
certainly misunderstand them.", John Ruskin