FrontPage98 trashes HTML docs

Subject: FrontPage98 trashes HTML docs
From: Lynn Perry <clperry -at- WALLDATA -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 16:22:14 -0700

> > Joe Sokohl wrote
> > Having spent weeks crafting a complex expandable TOC in FrontPage for
> > our online doc, imagine my consternation when FP wiped out the code.
> > Yes, it in a flash replaced all the hundreds of lines of code with a
> > simple shell--html, head, and body tags only. this has happened before,
> > but in a few not-so-egregious instances. Fortunately, IS was able to
> > produce a backup from last night (so I only have to recreate several
> > hours worth of work).

This also happened to my coworker. Unfortunately, IS did not have a backup.
She had to recreate the whole page. This was not the first occurrence. The
first time, she pretty much chalked up to being a novice with the tool.
Because she was learning the tool and not using it for real pages, she was
able to ignore the problem with only a small effect.

When she reported these occurrences to Microsoft, tech support said they had
never heard of this problem before, and that if the page loaded, it was not
a corrupt file. Hard to understand how the removal of all relevant HTML tags
from a page is not corruption of a file, but thats what they said.

They also said there was no way to record the problem since we could not
provide a reproducible scenario. To her credit, my coworker did not utter
the profanity that I probably would have. Instead, she reiterated how
important it would be to track these occurrences, but no luck.

I would appreciate it if Joe (and others who have experienced this failure)
would please contact me. Perhaps we can figure out a scenario that we can
pass along. Maybe we can save ourselves pain in the future. Reality for us
is that we do use FrontPage98 at this point, although I try to work
primarily in HTML and admit to using Notepad on occasion!

Thanks
LyP
clperry -at- walldata -dot- com
My opinions do not represent Wall Data's and vice versa.