Re: We recommend

Subject: Re: We recommend
From: Dick Gaskill <dickg -at- AG3D -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 13:54:56 -0700

The real reason not to use "we recommend", or "it is recommended" is
that they do not say WHO recommends whatever is being recommended. It
makes the information vague and possibly doubtful to the reader. A
better way to write it is, "(company name) recommends", or if a specific
person, committee, etc., is recommending something, use the name of that
person, committee, etc. The reader gets a complete, clear meaning, and
could even contact the comnpany, person, etc. if they had questions.

When I see "it is recommended", I can't help but think of either a
politician or salesman deliberately using vague terms to avoid the
responsibility for whatever they are recommending.

Dick Gaskill
Tech Pubs Mgr.
AccelGraphics, Inc.