Re: Humor as a communication technique

Subject: Re: Humor as a communication technique
From: Laurel Gilbert <Laurel -at- NICHE-ASSOCIATES -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 14:12:02 -0600

>>> Tracy Boyington <tracy_boyington -at- OKVOTECH -dot- ORG> 06/16 2:02 PM >>>
> I doubt a customer who has just spent thousands of dollars for a
> software package that may be the lifeblood of his/her business is
going
> to be in the mood for levity while trying to learn it. Humor does
have
> its places, but I think there could very easily be more negative
> ramifications than positive by including it in technical
documentation.

Although I'm sure you realize technical communication is not limited
technical documentation.

Just jumping in.

A few years ago, I wrote a book called _SurferGrrrls: Look, Ethel! An
Internet Guide for Us!_. It's a book by/about/for women getting online.
It isn't a list of Websites, but a rather detailed and technical look at
getting comfortable with technology and online spaces...also includes a
section on the cultural development of the Internet.

It's hilarious, if I do say so myself. I read sections of it now and
burst out laughing. Then giggle for days.

Currently, I'm working writing training manuals. Hardware installation.
It's not really *humorous,* unless, like me, you get a kick out of
phrases like this: "manually tracking each users' resources is a
daunting job for even the bravest administrator." Heh. Heh heh.

My point? There *is* "room for" (or a market, or whatever....) for
drop-dead, screamingly-funny, bust-a-gut "technical" communication. If
you have doubts, pick up _SurferGrrrls_ sometime.

BUT.

It sounds like most of "our jobs" are not quite the place for it.

Laurel