Re: Humor as a communication technique -Reply

Subject: Re: Humor as a communication technique -Reply
From: Lisa Comeau <COMEAUL -at- CSA -dot- CA>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 13:05:03 -0400

I wrote: "My fave was my grade 11 Physics teacher who discussed the principles of accelleration and decelleration by using the example of swinging a cat over your head by it's tail and then letting it go..."

Laurel Nelson replied:
I found the above statement very offensive. To me, cruelty to animals is
not funny even when it's imaginery. As some people have said, you have to be very careful when using humor. It's all a matter of perception.

Exactly, Laurel. I apologize if this comment was offensive to you, but I was using it as an example (albeit a controversial one) to make the point you finished for me, which was about the matter of context when using humor.

(By the way, I don't hate cats, but my physics teacher did...one of his children was mauled by one, hence the use of a cat in this particlar example of applied physics)

But I digress...
For me, this example stuck in my head (I won't tell you how long it's been since I was in high school), even though I found it cruel. Depends on your perspective, I guess.

Lisa Comeau
IS Super-User/Trainer
Certification and Testing Division
Canadian Standards Association