(\Configuration Management Strategies

Subject: (\Configuration Management Strategies
From: Ginna Watts <sweep!gwatts -at- QUESTERCORP -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 1998 17:05:06 +0000

Hi all,

I am a lone tech writer in a small company. We are currently
Involved in a large engineering project for a huge corporation
(which shall remain nameless).

We have to become ISO 9000 certified by the end of the summer, and
we're just starting now!

As part of this effort, I have been asked to take over, re-think and
implement a new configuration management strategy.

Currently, we have a good system for managing software releases, but
not for documents. I have already set up a paper strategy for
controlling releases and other documents, and am looking at PDF for
digital copies of formal releases.

BUT, I am having trouble with organization. Our numbering system is
sadly lacking, and right now we track everything (documents of all
types, drawings, release notes etc.) on separate paper logs. Clearly
there has to be a better way!

I have looked at some of the configuration management software
packages briefly, but they seem to be far more than we need, both in
features and price.

Our options are wide open, and I could get some money if I needed to,
but I would rather adopt a simple, yet scaleable strategy. (Most of
the systems available seem to need weeks of training, and
professionals to implement them.)

This is open ended, but I'm hoping someone else on this list has gone
through the same process, and has some input on configuration
managements strategies that work for ISO, and are simple to
implement.

TIA,
Ginna

Ginna Watts - Technical Writer