Re: New Question - online doc vs hard doc

Subject: Re: New Question - online doc vs hard doc
From: Marilyn Fenter <mfenter -at- PTC -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 1998 15:36:40 -0400

Debbie Stewart wrote:

> From Debbie_Stewart -at- siecor -dot- com Fri Jun 12 15:04:22 1998
> Date: Fri, 12 Jun 1998 14:57:55 -0400
> From: Debbie Stewart <Debbie_Stewart -at- siecor -dot- com>
> Subject: New Question - online doc vs hard doc
> To: TECHWR-L -at- listserv -dot- okstate -dot- edu
>
> Famous words by "Schweizer Alex"
> <<< I'd like to hear other companies philosophies when it comes to
> delivering documentation?
> I grew up on hard docs, then Help, and shudder to think of ever going
> back to hard docs (we're not going back, I just
> shudder to think about it). I know there is the aspect of the security
> blanket, especially for older, new computer users, but part of our
> philosophy is that we, as the vendor, should not only lead the horse to
> the trough but make the horse
> drink as well (or at least teach the horse how to drink, or that
> drinking the water is in the horse's best interest, or that the horse
> had better drink the water in the trough because we're not shipping
> water in the same old blue buckets anymore).>>>>
>
> Whoa, horsey. As an older, new user of computers, I love learning what's
> ahappening and new trends, but I can also value the portability of hard
> copy. I don't even mind sitting curled up on a couch and peruse through
> computer manuals, rather than sitting at the computer using online help.
> The last 60+ word sentence there of yours is a bit loaded.
>
> Please don't ever assume the responsibility of telling your customers
> what is in their *best interest* or that you can *teach the horse to
> drink*. If you decide to do away with your old blue buckets, you may
> just well lose some of your old horses, too. I, for one, am a consumer,
> and do not like the attitude of businesses trying to cram something down
> my gullet. Or up anything else for that matter.
>
> Debbie Stewart
> Lone Tech Writer
> Siecor Operations, LLC
> Hickory NC
> 704-327-5143
> debbie -dot- stewart -at- siecor -dot- com
>
> Standard disclaimers go here. . . . . .

Hear, hear Debbie. As an older, old user of computers since 1977, I too
believe that we should not "ever assume the responsibility of telling your
customers what is in their *best interest*". Companies today want to save
money, and one of the ways to do this is to stop printing books. However,
if the customers balk, I believe they should be given the option of receiving
printed books. We must remember that customers ultimately pay our salaries.
It pays us to show them some respect.

Alex, why do you shudder to think of ever going back to hard docs?

Marilyn Fenter
Technical Writer
Parametric Technology
Waltham, Massachusetts