Re[2]: word to pdf conversion

Subject: Re[2]: word to pdf conversion
From: "Ridder, Fred" <F -dot- Ridder -at- DIALOGIC -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 14:37:23 -0400

On Thu, 11 Jun 1998, sngotler -at- GOTLER -dot- COM wrote (in part):

>2. Print to postscript. Select "Print to File" from the Word print dialog.
>It will prompt you for the name of a file and it will add a ".prn"
>extension to your file name. You can't overwrite that. Then, convert the
>.prn file (it's really a postscript file) to PDF using Acrobat Distiller.
>
>The first method is faster, but you may not work as well with more complex
>doc's. The second method is slower, but I think it is more robust.

FWIW, the .prn extension *can* be overridden. In the Print to File dialog,
first select "All files (*.*)" rather than "Printer files (*.prn)". Then you
can
specify any file extension you want in the file name box. If you leave the
default "Printer files (*.prn)" selection, Word appends that extension to
whatever filename and extension you type in the file name box (yes, it
will generate double extensions).

And I do agree with you that printing to file and then running Distiller on
the PostScript is more robust than using PDFwriter.

Fred Ridder (mailto:f -dot- ridder -at- dialogic -dot- com)
Senior Technical Writer
Dialogic Corporation, Parsippany, NJ

And to keep our marketing people happy:
Get the Dialogic Edge at: http://www.dialogic.com