word to pdf conversion -Reply

Subject: word to pdf conversion -Reply
From: Bill Sullivan <bsullivan -at- EMAIL -dot- EXIDE -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 12:55:35 -0400

>>Can anybody tell me if it is required to go to framemaker in order to
convert word to pdf and postscript?

No. Assuming you have Acrobat Distiller, Distiller Assistant and
Exchange (mine are version 3.01), but not necessarily running, you open
your Word doc and give it the Print command. From the Print dialog box,
choose Distiller Assistant and click Print to File. This produces a .ps file
which you open in Acrobat Distiller which automatically produces a .pdf
file. [You can also choose Acrobat PDFWriter -- check the documentation
for advice about this.]

There may be a list of advantages to making your .pdf file in Frame or
PageMaker. The advantage I can think of is that Frame or PageMaker
automatically produce a set of bookmarks. If I make a .pdf from other
programs, I must produce my own bookmarks, a somewhat tedious
process.