PowerPoint & Access to Information Summary

Subject: PowerPoint & Access to Information Summary
From: Ruth Glaser <rglaser -at- DATAWORKSMPLS -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 10:55:38 -0500

Thanks to Heidi, Lisa, Faith, Tracy, Phyllis, and
Christine for responding so quickly. Now if only
I can convince the person responsible for these
materials to use these suggestions, we'll be in
great shape!

Here are some suggestions for creating a TOC
and Index from a PowerPoint presentation:

1. Include the slide number on each slide.
2. If you're printing more than one slide per page,
go to View, Master, Handout Master, and eliminate
the page number that appears on every page.
3. Print the presentation in Outline Form.
4. Use the Outline as the TOC.
----------
If you have FrameMaker:
OK, this may not be the most expedient suggestion, and although it is a
possibility, it could be a bit labor intensive depending on the length
of your presentations. Save the PowerPoint presentation as an rtf and
open it up in FrameMaker (I kind of assume and you have FrameMaker since
you make a reference to Frame in your post), it will be imported as the
outline format of the presentation. Paginate it so each slide is on its
own page (in an effort to make the FrameMaker pages parallel the
presentation slide number). When I tried it, FrameMaker automatically
assigned the heading 1, heading 2, etc. pretty accurately. You can
generate a TOC from this and also create and generate your index
entries. You don't mention whether you use the presentations multiple
times, making updating the FrameMaker copy of your presentation
necessary. If this is the case, I would repeat the process, along with
pagination, and run Frame's Compare Documents utility, copying and
pasting the updates (this maintains your index entries, at least).
----------
If you placed the PowerPoint presentation within a
Microsoft Binder file, you could then add other
Microsoft Office files (or sections) which would make
it possible for you to do most of this [create a TOC & index].
It's not perfect, but it's better than having useless reference
materials after a class.
Import the slides into Word...add verbage and styles...index....
You could save the PowerPoint presentation as HTML (PowerPoint 97). The
ensuing HTML file has, I'm almost positive, a TOC and an index, as well
as a text version of the presentation.