Re: grammar/spelling question

Subject: Re: grammar/spelling question
From: "D. Margulis" <ampersandvirgule -at- WORLDNET -dot- ATT -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 20:19:03 -0400

Wigser, Sarah wrote:

> Do you hyphenate 24 hours a day, 7 days a week? If so, where?

No, Sarah, I usually sleep several hours a day and sometimes take a day
off. But when I do hyphenate, I usually do it at the keyboard <g>

Okay, now that I've gotten my jollies, I have to keep Eric off my back.
So here is the straight answer:

OK: The store is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Better: The store is open twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week.

[Spell out numbers under 100 in books, under ten in newspapers and
magazines. Exception: use numerals for all measurements, even if small,
but not for counts.]

HOWEVER,

OK: He had a 24-hour-a-day, 7-day-a-week crush on her.

Better: He had a twenty-four-hour-a-day, seven-day-a-week crush on her.

HTH,

Dick