SUMMARY FrameMaker 5.5 Chapter Number Problems

Subject: SUMMARY FrameMaker 5.5 Chapter Number Problems
From: Susan Moore <susanmo -at- MOSAIX -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 15:18:36 -0700

About 3 weeks ago I asked a question about Chapter number problems when
converting a book from FrameMaker 5.2 to 5.5. Thanks to all for their
suggestions. We tried them all, but never did find out what our problem
was. We stripped the content and put it into a different template (with
numbering settings that were the same as the original--go figure), and
made it work by playing around ("It worked!" "What did you do?" "I don't
know!")

Here is a summary of suggestions I received:

1) Are you using the old book file in Frame 5.5? If so, this might be
part of
the problem. Try creating a new book file. Check to see that the
paragraph
numbering under Format>Numbering is not set to restart.
--Bill Burns

2) Look at the autonumber format in the Paragraph designer to see if it
uses <n+1> to increment numbering. This is "illegal" in Frame, but it
wasn't enforced until version 5.5, apparently. Use <n+> instead.
--Penelope Perkins

3) In the chapter itself, I have a paragraph format set up for the
Chapter
Head. It uses this autonumber format: Chapter <n+> < =0>< =0>< =0><
=0><
=0>< =0>< =0>
4) n the book file, highlight the name of the chapter and have a look at
the
file set-up (File --> Set Up File...)
The Paragraph Numbering option should be "Continue" (and not "Restart").
Check this for each chapter.
--Penny Staples

5) You might check the book file's Set Up File menu item (!fd) to make
sure
your paragraph numbering is continuous. If it's not, chapters won't
autonumber.
-- Mark Dempsey

I haven't had this problem with Frame 5.5. I have converted several
books,
too. Check the numbering format in your style and the page numbering
setup
in the book file. I have noticed that 5.5 sometimes reverts to default
settings. Maybe this happened somewhere and just needs to be set again.
--Julie Sullivan

Susan Moore
Technical Communicator, Mosaix Inc.
(425) 558-8008 x2036