Re: Salaries: Kill this stupid topic

Subject: Re: Salaries: Kill this stupid topic
From: Bob Morrisette <writer1 -at- SABU -dot- ENG -dot- SUN -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 13:56:26 -0700

From: Barbara Karst-Sabin <Phillinion -at- AOL -dot- COM>

>I was told that a senior writer in Silicon Valley made $30-40/hour (no wonder
>they were so happy to see me coming \;+). I now know that that is not the
>case, but I'd still like to know what the correct level is considered to be.

Money is never a stupid topic. I'll add my input about Silicon
Valley where I've toiled as a technical writer/editor/manager for the
past 20 years (except for five glorious years in Monterey).

When I left contracting three years ago, experienced writer/
contractors with a track record were mostly earning $30 to $50 per hour.
That's $60K to $100K gross because we have full employment if
you want to work 50 weeks a year.

Currently, staff salaries for the same types run between $50K
and $70K. All the writers I know are in this range. I also know that
there are writers making $75K and some making $30K.

When you look for a job, know what the salary scales are and don't
be afraid to ask for what you deserve. If you can bargain for
stock options, you might end up rich.

Bob Morrisette
writer1 -at- sabu -dot- Eng -dot- Sun -dot- com