Re: Salaries: Kill this stupid topic

Subject: Re: Salaries: Kill this stupid topic
From: Barbara Karst-Sabin <Phillinion -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 14:28:14 EDT

As a tech writer who began contracting for the first time just this year and
who worked in a different part of the country before, I am very interested in
this subject.

I don't want to price myself out of the market, nor do I want to undervalue my
skills. I have had every recruiter I've talked to want to know what my last
contract paid. They weren't to go more than a little above that, and many
wanted to drop below it.

I was told that a senior writer in Silicon Valley made $30-40/hour (no wonder
they were so happy to see me coming \;+). I now know that that is not the
case, but I'd still like to know what the correct level is considered to be.
Any of us who are contracting need to keep abreast of the industry standard
for salaries.

Knowing as much about the subject as possible helps us to get and keep
reasonable compensation.

In other words, I don't think this is a stupid topic, nor apparently do all
the people who have posted on the subject.

BJ