Re: periods inside quotation marks?

Subject: Re: periods inside quotation marks?
From: Janice Gelb <janiceg -at- MARVIN -dot- ENG -dot- SUN -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 9 Jun 1998 09:33:23 -0700

> I usually do not use quotes for button names. I usually bold them. I
> also use this convention:
>
> Click the Remove button.
>
> Where "Remove" is bolded.
>
> I also adhere to these other conventions:
>
> * Italicize field names.
>
> * Bold command line inputs (XCOPY *.TXT *.BAK)
>
> * Bold text input or any user action in a window or dialog box.
>

> Of course, your company or client may have different conventions.

We have found that bolding button names or italicizing field
names can get very messy when you are documenting several
procedures, since the whole page becomes full of conflicting
typographical changes and they therefore lose their effect.
We try to make sure that engineers use initial caps for
field, button, and menu option names and have found those
are sufficient when followed by the word "button" or "field"
and preceded by "Click" or "Type" or similar instructions.

-- Janice

Janice Gelb | The only connection Sun has with this
janice -dot- gelb -at- eng -dot- sun -dot- com | message is the return address.
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/8018/index.html