Re: Newsletter guidelines (more info)

Subject: Re: Newsletter guidelines (more info)
From: Tracy Boyington <tracy_boyington -at- OKVOTECH -dot- ORG>
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 1998 13:54:52 -0500

> As for what to keep and what to scrap? I'd keep the promotions and new
> employees, because it will help with morale, and maybe births, since they
> directly relate to an employee.
>
> As for graduations, maybe only for an employee who got it through your ed.
> reimbursement program (if you have one). Departures, only if the employee has
> been around for a while. I'd scrap the weddings and engagements altogether,
> that's total fluff in my book.

Unfortunately, one person's total fluff is another person's news. For
example, I can't imagine why births would be more relevant than
weddings. They're both equally fluffy to me. :-) And fluff is important
-- people are going to read this for the fluff, not for the profile of
the new president.

You might be able to limit the personal news by restricting it to news
from employees only, not that of their families. For example, if an
employee graduates from college it would be included, but not the
graduation of an employee's child. Also, I get the impression this
newsletter is printed, and you say you're going to a single 8.5 X 11
page -- would photocopying a legal-size newsletter be cheaper than
printing an 8.5 X 11 page? You'd have room for more info, and since
you're eliminating spot color anyway you have less to lose.

Tracy
Oklahoma Dept. of Vocational & Technical Education
Stillwater, OK, USA
http://www.okvotech.org/cimc/home.htm