Re: 1099 (the history and the reality)

Subject: Re: 1099 (the history and the reality)
From: Sella Rush <sellar -at- APPTECHSYS -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 1998 11:48:50 -0700

One little snag in getting your own tax id number:

I had a short conversation with an IRS person last year, and brought up the
subject as a solution to the contracting problem. This representative told
me that the IRS is really cracking down on TINs--they publish a checklist to
tell you if you really need a TIN, and if you don't really need one but get
one anyway, there are "penalties" and all sorts of horrid ramifications.

I don't know why this is (although I can guess--reestablishing credit, money
laundering) and I don't know how true this is. Except that it did come from
an IRS person who did seem to know her stuff in other respects.

Sella Rush
mailto:sellar -at- apptechsys -dot- com
Applied Technical Systems (ATS)
Bremerton, Washington