Re: Newsletter guidelines?

Subject: Re: Newsletter guidelines?
From: Penny Staples <pstaples -at- AIRWIRE -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 1998 09:47:13 -0500

I worked on a Company Newsletter for a large company, a few years ago. What
people liked most were:

- the cafeteria menu for the coming week
- an employee buy/sell column
- birth, death, and anniversary announcements

We got *lots* of complaints any time we tried to remove any of these items
to make room for more serious material. People also liked human interest
articles about interesting individuals in the company (e.g., an interview
with Bob in the mailroom about his skydiving hobby). There were other
internal publications that carried more professional, industry-related
stuff.

So.... don't be too quick to dump those recipes and cute stories. What may
seem trivial and dull to you may be very important to your audience. Maybe
try a survey to find out what employees want to see in their Company
Newsletter?

My .02 worth.

Penny Staples
pstaples -at- airwire -dot- com