Re: 22 page manual for $400,000

Subject: Re: 22 page manual for $400,000
From: Richard Lippincott <rlippincott -at- YAHOO -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 1998 17:17:51 -0700

David Chisma <chisma -at- C031 -dot- AONE -dot- NET -dot- AU> wrote:

> I noticed this piece on
> http://www.vancouversun.com/newsite/news/1752501.html and am curious
> whether anyone on the list has the lowdown on the techwriter's side of
> the story.

Another reason why the cost of a government manual is often so high is
because the government only buys -one- copy. (They then use it as the
master to print off hundreds or thousands of copies for their own use.)

If any of us were to take the total cost of production of a
manual...our time, plus the time of reviewers, plus the time of
managers to supervise us, plus the cost of printing...and then try to
recapture the costs by selling just ONE copy of a manual, we may
discover that we're somewhere in the region of $500 per page.

Maybe even more.
==

Richard Lippincott
Comverse Network Systems