Re: Question: 1099 status and agencies

Subject: Re: Question: 1099 status and agencies
From: Barbara Roll <broll -at- MICROSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 1998 15:20:51 -0700

Years ago I was a qualified independent contract (1099 status). Basically,
this means that you are your own business. Your Federal Tax ID number is
your social security number unless you incorporate.

It's quite possible that the agencies are concerned about their own
liabilities to you in the event that either the IRS determines that you
don't fit the independent profile or you decide to sue for back taxes and
benefits. (It happens.) The IRS has very specific guidelines for this. When
I obtained my IRS-approved independent status, I believe the form was called
SS-8.

In addition to the business name, I remember requirements that I meet the
following criteria:
** The companies you write for are your customers. They dictate the end
result they want. You dictate how to get there.
** You work on specific projects with beginning and end dates.
** You have office space and equipment of your own (not provided by your
customer). In most cases, you DO NOT do all your work for the customer at
their site.
** Customer does not dictate your working hours.
** You have more that one customer, and no single customer comprises more
that a certain percentage of your work.
** You have all business licenses required by your city and state.
** You have the other trappings of a business: letterhead, brochures,
advertising, business phone line, business bank account, etc.

If you can't meet the IRS criteria, it's often in the best interests of the
company to hire you as a temporary agency employee.