PDF File Problems

Subject: PDF File Problems
From: Roger Morency <rogerm -at- ONTARIO -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 1998 08:41:29 -0500

Here is the situation. We have converted hundreds of Macintosh PageMaker
files into PDF files using Acrobat Distiller. These files were then moved to
a PC, indexed, and packaged for use on a CD. The problem is that when we
open these files from the CD, some of the letters in the document are
transposed. This seems to happen particularly for large font titles, but
occasionally body text gets transposed as a well.

For example, on one page we have a header with the name of the manual. It
should read "XYZ Manual" but it actually looks like it reads "XYZ Manula".
The funny thing is though, that if you copy this line from the PDF file and
paste it into a Word document, the letters are in the correct order.

Is this a bug or are we omitting a step? The font information (obtained from
Acrobat Reader Doc Info) shows that we are using the following fonts:
AvantGarde-Demi Type1 Encoding=Custom Used Font= Embedded
Subset
Bookman-Light Type1 Encoding=Custom Used Font=
AdobeSeriffMM
Bookman-LightItalic Type1 Encoding=Custom Used Font=
AdobeSeriffMM
Helvetica-Bold Type1 Encoding=Custom Used Font=
Helvetica-Bold

Thanks for the help.

Roger Morency
rogerm -at- ontario -dot- com <mailto:Rogerm -at- ontario -dot- com>
Ontario Systems Corp.
1150 West Kilgore Ave
Muncie, IN 47305
(765) 751-7000