Re: Is framing theft?

Subject: Re: Is framing theft?
From: Mark Baker <mbaker -at- OMNIMARK -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 1998 14:12:04 -0400

Walker, Arlen wrote

>As a webspinner myself, I have a great deal of sympathy for the newspapers'
>point of view. The content *is* their business, not a byproduct of it, or
>another avenue for selling it, and making it appear as if the content came
>from someone else seems wrong to me.

Okay, if framing is a problem, what about the vision that some hold out for
XML as a way for people to pull content from anywhere on the web and present
it on their own page?

Check out Charles Heinemann's Extreme XML column at
http://www.microsoft.com/sitebuilder/archive/xml/xml041398.htm which, after
some explanation of XML and basic scripting techniques, says:

"Now that the data is accessible on the client, it can be displayed in an
HTML page. This means that Jenny does not need to link to external sites for
information. She can simply pull the information that she wants to her own
site, consolidating information that was once dispersed throughout the
Internet."

Comments on intellectual property concerns in that vision of the future?

---
Mark Baker
Manager, Corporate Communications
OmniMark Technologies Corporation