Re: Problem Printing HTML

Subject: Re: Problem Printing HTML
From: Lani Hardage <lhardage -at- RMTECH -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 1998 08:52:41 -0700

If your problem is that text is cut from the right margin (including
tables) on printing, that is because your page width is assumed to be as
wide as the *largest* fixed element on the page, e.g. a GIF, a table, or
preformatted text.

If you put the entire page within a fixed-width table, note that an
image, preformatted text, or table within a table that is larger than
the table width will override the table settings.

One solution is to make sure that all elements are no wider than, say,
600 pixels. You can experiment with the pixel width to see how much you
can get to print, but this will vary a bit with browsers and printers.

HTH,
Lani Hardage
Documentation Manager
Risk Management Technologies
Berkeley, California

Matt Danda wrote:

Does anyone have text cut from an HTML document when it's sent to a
laser printer?This occurs to us when using either Netscape or IE4. Our
HTML
documents use plain paragraphs and headings...no special formatting
whatsoever.I've tried a variety of solutions, like changing the font
sizes,
inserting the text into a relatively narrow table, and fiddling with
the wide array of Page Setup parameters, including margins.

But I must be missing something, because I don't have trouble printing
an HTML page from a site like Microsoft's. Their formatted text
layouts get transferred to paper just fine. But when I print a
document from our simple, homegrown intranet, the text is cut off. And
don't even mention what the laser printer does to formatted HTML tables!