Re: HTML & ROBOHELP WITH FRAMEMAKER

Subject: Re: HTML & ROBOHELP WITH FRAMEMAKER
From: Kelly Anderson <kellya -at- VIEWSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 30 May 1998 16:12:40 -0600

At 10:42 AM 5/29/98 , you wrote:
>Hi !!!!
>
>Until now I have been using Word for all documenting purposes. When I
>realised Word was no good for huge documents and on repeated suggestions
>from all you guys out there, I have suggested to my management that we
>start working with Frame Maker.

I regret terribly having to give up Word. It was so nice to work with, but
as we say, "Frame has the added benefit of actually working."

>Word integrates very well with RoboHelp. Now what I would like to know
>is:
>
>How well does Frame Maker integrate with RoboHelp?

Not at all.

>How easy is it to create HTML help with Frame maker?

Get and read the book "Framemaker to HTML" to see what you are getting
yourself into. It is fairly technical, but can result in a nice solution.
We are using a third party tool by Quadralay to solve the problem and are
going to HTML and HTML Help.

RoboHTML and RoboHelp don't really float my particular boat. I like having
more control over the HTML than that. We do have a highly technical staff
implementing the solution, and it isn't easy, just good.

>I am a novice as far as FrameMaker is concerned. SOS!!!!

So am I. It's got a rather steep learning curve, and isn't as user friendly
as Frame, but there's that bit about working again...sigh.

-Kelly
"I'm not really a technical writer, I just play one at work."