Re: Software Technical Overviews should include....?

Subject: Re: Software Technical Overviews should include....?
From: Suzy Davis <andavis -at- AU1 -dot- IBM -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 26 May 1998 20:03:46 -0400

It seems you are looking at the contents for a functional specification?
If so, off the top of my head, you might want to add the following high level
headings:
1. issues register (things that need to be resolved prior to implementation),
2. design constraints
3. assumptions (ie assumes that host system is available 24x7x365)
4. glossary of terms
5. implementation considerations.

This was covered some months back at should be in the archives if you search
functional specification.

Suzy Davis
Technical Writer

Internet: andavis -at- au1 -dot- ibm -dot- com
[Standard disclaimer]

05/27/98 12:19 AM
Please respond to ruthk -at- ENVWORLD -dot- COM

To: TECHWR-L -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU
cc:
Subject: Software Technical Overviews should include....?

Would anyone be able to help me fill in the rest of my content
specifications blanks. Here's what I have included so far:

1. Features (brief paragraph overview of the software)
2. Conceptual Model (graphical flow)
3. Review of Functional Characteristics
4. Interfaces and Third party Product Integration
5. System Requirements (software, hardware, network)
6. Capabilities/Limitations List (scalability, portability, and so forth)
7. For More Information...(briefly describes modules in Sys. Admin. Ref.
set)

Did I forget something? Is there some standard guideline reference book
that would help me with these kinds of content issues? Thank you in
advance for responding to me directly.

R. Kiner-Cola
Documentation Project Lead
Envision Utility Software