Copyrighting -Reply

Subject: Copyrighting -Reply
From: Lisa Comeau <COMEAUL -at- CSA -dot- CA>
Date: Fri, 22 May 1998 10:10:43 -0400

>>> Gina Hertel <Ghertel -at- ALPHA88 -dot- COM> 05/22/98 09:56am >>>
Is copyrighting your documentation a multi- thousand dollar expense?

I don't know how popular (or legeal) it is anywhere else, but a "Kitchen Copyright" is a cheap and workable way to do it that's perfectly above board in most Canadian provinces. (It is often used by musicians and poets, etc.)

Send a copy of the document registered mail to yourself. Don't open it. The postmark date can't be faked. If there is ever a legal question of who wrote the documentation, you ahve indisputable proof...all the judge has to do is open the envelope and read to see that yours is the original.

HOWEVER, I am NOT Reccomending this particular procedure to large companies, please don't sue me! But it IS feasible for lone techwhirlers without a ton of cash.

Just a thought...(or maybe a brain burp, I'm not sure)
Lisa Comeau
IS Super-User/Trainer
Certification and Testing Division
Canadian Standards Association