Word 97 Protection -Reply

Subject: Word 97 Protection -Reply
From: David Spiteri <DSPITERI -at- TUC -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 08:06:49 -0500

There are two ways David.

First, you can use a macro to turn protection off, perform spellcheck,
and then turn it back on.

Second, you can protect by section. This means that the portions of
the document that are located within the boundaries of the protected
section cannot be accessed. The portions that are outside the
protected section are able to be spell checked. So, if there is a
large free-form area within your document within which the user will
be entering a lot of text that will need to be spell checked, keep
that free-form area in a separate section that is not protected.

To protect by section, create your sections as desired, then from the
Word Tools menu select Protect Document and then choose Forms from the
dialogue box. Now the Sections button to the right of these choices
should be active. Click the Sections button and then select the
sections to be protected.

Hope this helps!

>>> David Harrison <david-x -dot- harrison -at- BAE -dot- CO -dot- UK> 05/21/98 07:30am >>>
I have been asked to provide a few small Document Templates for the
department
and the people here are especially keen on the "Protect Document"
feature with
form fields. This allows users to write in the fields but not change
the rest
of the document.
The only trouble is that when you apply protection many of the word
features
become inoperative - including Spell-Checker. I've been through my
reference
book without avail. Is there anyone out there who knows how to apply
document
protection but leave Spell-Checker operational for the user?

David Harrison
(david-x -dot- harrison -at- bae -dot- co -dot- uk)

Send commands to listserv -at- listserv -dot- okstate -dot- edu (e.g., SIGNOFF
Find TECHWR-L-related books at
http://www.raycomm.com/techwhirl/books.htm