Re: grammar survey

Subject: Re: grammar survey
From: Jerry STUBBS <stubbs -at- EECS -dot- UKANS -dot- EDU>
Date: Mon, 18 May 1998 08:35:56 -0500

On Sun, 17 May 1998, Hutchings, Christa wrote:

>Vote for your favorite:
>1) When finished, press END.
>2) When done, press END.
>3) Press END when finished.
>4) Press END when done.

This especially caught my eye, remembering that when something is
DONE, you take it out of the oven.

But all four choices should be clear enough, provided that it is clear to
the reader exactly what steps have to be taken before pressing END.

But I have encountered instructions that didn't spec these conditions,
and then the question is: "How do I know if I'm done ( or finished)?"

I would also hope that the reader wouldn't press END, then read the
rest of the phrase, but you can't be sure.

Jerry Stubbs